HSRP has a brother whose name is VRRP ! As you know we told that HSRP is a Cisco proprietary protocol. The difference between VRRP and HSRP is this, VRRP is an industry standard.
There are just some terminology changes and a little bit configuration differences between them. Let’s check it.
– We are using Active / Standby terminologies at HSRP, at VRRP we are gonna use Master / Backup instead of them.
– We are using standby group at HSRP, at VRRP we are gonna use VRRP group instead of it.
– Master router can share virtual IP at VRRP
– Dead timer is calculated = hello timer x 3 at VRRP protocol.
SWITCH_A(conf)#interface VLAN 70 SWITCH_A(conf-if)#vrrp 20 ip 172.30.70.1 SWITCH_A(conf-if)#vrrp 20 preempt SWITCH_A(conf-if)#vrrp 20 timer advertise msec 100
* Pay attention that we are just setting up the hello timer if we want to set the hello timer up manually. Dead timer is hello x 3 as we have talked before.